Appropriate conflict resolution in industrial and construction projects: legal and engineering challenges
december 1, 2022 @ 4:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Disputes arising from industrial and construction projects are usually complex and expensive. The best way to resolve disputes is to avoid their occurrence in the first place by inter alia drafting a clear specification, implementing an effective project management plan and adhering to the project plan together with effective contract management.
However, this is not always sufficient and disputes can nonetheless arise. Although this is something where engineers do not feel themselves at ease, their involvement in the resolution is non neglectable. The conference will highlight the role engineers can play in multi-tier dispute resolution procedures (litigation, arbitration, adjudication and mediation).
The following early identification methods will be highlighted:
- Conflict Avoidance Panel (CAP)
- Early Neutral Evaluation (ENE)
- Project based Dispute Board (DB)
- Evaluative Mediation
Finally, the ICC Dispute Board Rules will be explained with a focus on the role of engineers.
16:30 | Registration with coffee
17:00 | Welcome
Introduction by prof. Dr. ir. Didier De Buyst, coordinator of the event
Moderator: Mr Niki Leys, judge in the Commercial Court of Brussels
Each presentation takes approx. 30 minutes.
- “Project uncertainty, project risk and allocation of that risk” by Mr Gaëtan Auvray, Besix
- “Procurement processes and forms which provide co-operation and good faith behavior” by Mr Luc Imbrechts, Imbrechts & Van den Nest
- “Early identification of potential for claim and dealing with it: practical cases” by Mr Kris De Langhe, Orientes
18:30 | Break with sandwiches/drinks and networking
- Workable multi-tier dispute resolution procedures” by prof. Dr. Benoît Kohl, Cepani
- The ICC Dispute Board Rules: cost, speed, enforceability, flexibility, degree of control etc.” by Mr. Marco Schoups, Schoups
- Conclusion by prof. Dr. ir. Didier De Buyst & Mr. Marco Schoups with Q&A by attendees (approx. 30 minutes)
20:00 | Adjourn
Thursday 1 December 2022, from 16:30 to 20:00
2018 – Antwerpen
All documentation will be made available in English. Provided that every attendee understands it, presentations will be done in the native tongue of the speaker or in English.
Q&A: Dutch, French and English.
€ 280 for non-members
€ 196 for individual members ie-net
€ 196 for ie-net partners (corporate members)
€ 196 for members ICC Belgium | CEPANI | BVBR-ABDC | FEB-VBO | a.o…
=> register here