Arbitration in BeNeLux: “Getting to know each other and what to expect from the future”
The Luxembourg Arbitration Center (LAC) and the Luxembourg Arbitration Association (LAA) are thrilled to host the first joint event of the BeNeLux Arbitration and ADR Group on 20 April 2023.
On 8 September 2022, at the Peace Palace in The Hague, the Netherlands Arbitration Institute (NAI), the Belgian Centre for Arbitration and Mediation (CEPANI), the Luxembourg Arbitration Center (LAC), the Dutch Arbitration Association (DAA) and the Luxembourg Arbitration Association (LAA) signed a cooperation agreement and established the Benelux Arbitration and ADR Group to strengthen and promote arbitration and other ADR mechanisms in the BeNeLux area. The conference will provide you with key information and analysis on arbitration in the BeNeLux and will be followed by a lovely wine tasting and dinner in the Luxembourgish Moselle.
10:30-11:00 Registration (coffee)
11:00-11:10 Welcoming Remarks by Carlo Thelen, General Director of theLuxembourg Chamber of Commerce and André Prüm, President of the LAA, Professor at the Luxembourg University
11:10-11:20 Introduction by Maxime Berlingin, Chairman of the BeNeLux Arbitration and ADR Group, Partner Fieldfisher (Brussels), Lecturer at Saint-Louis University – Brussels, and Estelle Brisson, Communication of the LAA, Senior Associate Arendt & Medernach
11:20-11:45 Keynote: « Arbitration in the BeNeLux: Comparative Features and Challenges » Filip de Ly, Professor at the Erasmus University (Rotterdam), Chairman of the International Commercial Arbitration Commission of the International Law Association
11:45-13:00 Panel Discussion: Why Choose a Seat of Arbitration in the BeNeLux?
– Camilla Perera-de Wit, Secretary-General / Director-General of the NAI (Rotterdam)
– Roelien van den Berg, Partner SSHJ Advocaten (Amsterdam)
– Maarten Draye, Partner Hanotiau & van den Berg (Brussels)
– Vanessa Foncke, Partner Jones Day (Brussels)
– Laure-Hélène Gaicio-Fievez, Partner Bonn Steichen (Luxembourg)
– Nicolina Bordian, Legal Advisor Luxembourg Arbitration Center (Luxembourg)
Moderator: Jan Schaefer, Partner King & Spalding (Frankfurt)
13:00-14:00 Networking Lunch
14:00-14:15 Sam Tanson, Minister of Justice of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
14:15-15:15 Panel Discussion: Essential Tips to Know before Enforcing an Arbitral Award in the BeNeLux
– Mirjam van de Hel-Koedoot, Partner NautaDutilh (Amsterdam)
– Hakim Boularbah, Partner Loyens & Loeff (Brussels) and Professor at the University of Liège
– Clara Mara-Marhuenda, Partner Arendt & Medernach (Luxembourg)
Moderator: Hilde van der Baan, Partner Allen & Overy (Amsterdam)
15:15 Break (coffee)
15:35-16:50 Panel Discussion Followed by Q&A Session: Could a BeNeLux Uniform Act and/or a Single BeNeLux Court Benefit the BeNeLux Arbitration Community?
– Gerard Meijer, President of the NAI, Partner Linklaters (Amsterdam), Professor at the Erasmus University (Rotterdam)
– Françoise Lefèvre, Partner Lefèvre Arbitration (Brussels), Member of the ICC Court of Arbitration
– Elisabeth Omes, Partner Elvinger Hoss Prussen (Luxembourg)
Moderator: Maxime Berlingin, Chairman of the BeNeLux Arbitration and ADR Group, Partner Fieldfisher (Brussels), Lecturer at Saint-Louis University – Brussels
16:50-17:00 Key Takeaways: André Prüm, President of the LAA, Professor at the Luxembourg University
17:00-22:00 Discover Luxembourg Vineyards – wine tasting and dinner in the Luxembourgish Moselle: buses will take our attendees to an independent wine estate in the Luxembourgish Moselle, at the Domaine du Cep d’Or, 15 Waistrooss, 5429 Stadbriedemes