About CEPANI, the Belgian Centre for Arbitration and Mediation
CEPANI is the Belgian Centre for Arbitration and Mediation. As such, it offers parties in dispute the administrative assistance for their arbitration and mediation proceedings, to allow them to reach a satisfactory solution for their conflict. The Centre strives to create the appropriate legal and administrative framework for the parties, to make possible a swift and safe resolution of their dispute.
CEPANI was founded in 1969, under the auspices of the Belgian National Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the Federation of Belgian Enterprises (VBO/FEB). Over the years, CEPANI’s reputation has steadily grown and it is now the main centre for dispute resolution in Belgium. At the heart of Brussels, amidst several important EU institutions and international organizations, CEPANI offers its services in a national as well as an international context.
CEPANI is housed in the offices of the VBO/FEB in Brussels. Its members include business people, university professors, corporate counsel, lawyers and notaries. Internationally, it maintains close relations with similar centres around the globe and promotes the city of Brussels as an arbitration hub.
CEPANI’s aims are twofold:
- The active support of arbitration and mediation proceedings. CEPANI places at the disposal of the parties a set of rules for arbitration, mediation and other forms of ADR; it appoints independent arbitrators, mediators, experts or neutrals; it monitors the course of the proceedings and, if necessary, provides logistic and legal support services.
- The active promotion of arbitration, mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. To this end, CEPANI regularly organises scientific lectures, colloquiums and seminars and encourages the production and publication of articles and books on the subject.
CEPANI does not itself act as arbitrator, mediator, expert or independent neutral.
CEPANI’s Privacy Statement
What Information is collected and how is it used
Nature of information collected
In order to receive CEPANI newsletters or information on CEPANI products and services, to contact CEPANI for any questions or comments, to request CEPANI products and services, or to register for CEPANI events and trainings, you may choose to provide some personal information. The categories of personal information that CEPANI may collect for the processing purposes described hereto are: family name, first name, organization, position, activity, main centre of interest, address, postal code, country, phone, website, and email.
CEPANI, or third parties on its behalf, may use the personal information that you provide:
- to process and respond to your questions and/or inquiries, and
- to deliver you newsletters, emails, or other communications relating to products and services that you may be interested in;
- to provide you with any CEPANI services and products.
CEPANI, or third parties on its behalf, may also use certain information you provide in an aggregate and anonymous form for internal business and planning purposes, such as statistics.
Protecting your privacy and your information is a priority at CEPANI. CEPANI has taken reasonable measures to protect your personal information from loss, misuse and alteration. However, please be aware that no data transmission over the internet or storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. CEPANI can only take steps to help reduce the risks of unauthorized access. Each individual using the internet can take steps to help protect his/ her personal information and further minimize the likelihood that a security incident may occur.
Cookies and session cookies
Subject to your prior explicit consent where such consent is required by the applicable law in your jurisdiction, CEPANI Sites use “cookies” (i.e., small text files which are downloaded to a user’s device when visiting the CEPANI Sites) in order to make easier for users to navigate around the CEPANI Sites and improve the quality of the CEPANI Sites. Cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the CEPANI Sites and use their features, such as accessing secure areas of the CEPANI Sites or making pages load properly. You can disable cookies by changing your web browser settings.
General information on cookies
Disclosure of Information
CEPANI does not disclose your personal data to third parties, except to the CEPANI global network, business partners and service providers, or except as may be required by any applicable law, regulation, or governmental request or to protect the rights of CEPANI. Access to your information may be granted to such third parties as needed to perform their assistance or services. Yet CEPANI does not authorize third parties to use or to transfer your information for any other purposes.
Transfer of personal data outside the European Union
Rights to Unsubscribe of to Access the Information
How to unsubscribe from the CEPANI newsletters
If you no longer wish to receive any kind of communications from CEPANI (e.g. newsletters or CEPANI news flash, you may opt out by cancelling your subscription on the CEPANI Site through the link sent in each email you receive from CEPANI, or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
How to access and update your information
Links to Other Sites
Intellectual Property (IP) / Content
All content displayed on the CEPANI Sites, including but not limited to, text, graphics, logos, buttons, icons, images, sounds, audio clips, digital downloads, data compilations and software, is the property of CEPANI or its content suppliers and is protected by the Belgian and/or foreign applicable laws.
Registered trademarks of CEPANI are marks indicated on the CEPANI Sites and include licensors, in Belgium and other countries. All other trademarks that appear on the CEPANI Sites are the property of their respective owners.
Effective since: 14 May 201
- GENERAL WARNING
- The NON PROFIT ORGANISATION, CEPANI (hereinafter, « CEPANI») respects the privacy of its users (hereinafter, the “Users“).
1.2 CEPANI processes the personal data transmitted to it in accordance with the legislation in force, and, in particular, Regulation 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and the free movement of such data, applicable from 25 May 2018 (hereinafter the “General Data Protection Regulation“).
1.4 The User acknowledges having read the information below and authorizes CEPANI to process, in accordance with the provisions of the Policy, the personal data that he/she communicates on the Website.
1.5 The Policy is valid for all pages hosted on the Website and for the registrations of this Website. It is not valid for the pages hosted by third parties to which CEPANI may refer and whose privacy policies may differ. CEPANI cannot therefore be held responsible for any data processed on these websites or by them.
2. DATA CONTROLLER
2.1 Simply visiting the Website shall take place without having to provide any personal data, such as first name, surname, postal address, e-mail address, etc.
2.2 As part of the Service, the User may be required to provide certain personal data. In this case, the data controller is:
NON PROFIT ORGANISATION, CEPANI
RUE DES SOLS 8 STUIVERSSTRAAT
Belgian business registry (BCE) number: BE 0413.975.115
2.3 Any question regarding the processing of this data may be sent to the following address: email@example.com
3. DATA COLLECTED
3.1 By completing the order form on the Website and using the Service, the User allows, in particular, CEPANI to record and store, for the purposes mentioned in point 4, the following information:
- identifying data, such as the first name and surname, e-mail address and company delivery address, country;
- invoicing information;
- communications between the User and CEPANI;
- The User also authorizes CEPANI to record and store the following data for the purposes mentioned in point 4:
- additional information requested by CEPANI to the User in order to identify him or to prevent him from violating any of the provisions of the Policy;
3.3 In order to facilitate browsing the Website as well as to optimize technical management, the Website may use “cookies”. These “cookies” record, in particular:
- the User’s browsing preferences;
- the date and time of access to the Website and other data related to traffic;
- the pages visited;
3.4 When the User accesses the Website, the servers consulted automatically record certain data, such as:
- the type of domain with which the User connects to the Internet;
- the IP address assigned to the User (when connected);
- the date and time of access to the Website and other data related to traffic;
- the pages visited;
- the type of browser used;
- the platform and/or operating system used;
- the search engine as well as the keywords used to find the Website.
3.5 No nominative data identifying the User is collected through the cookies and servers consulted. This information is kept for statistical purposes only and to improve the Website.
4. PURPOSES OF PROCESSING THE DATA
4.1 The Website collects, stores and uses its Users’ data for the following purposes, in particular:
- to establish, carry out and conduct the contractual relationship with the User;
- to analyse, adapt and improve the content of the Website;
- to provide the Service;
- to allow the User to receive messages (for example for renewal notifications)
- to facilitate the availability and use of the Website;
- to personalize the User’s experience on the Website;
- for any marketing activities and promotions proposed by CEPANI or sister organizations or partners to Users who have given their consent;
- to inform them about any changes on the Website and its features;
- for any other purpose to which the User has expressly consented.
5. RIGHTS OF THE PERSON CONCERNED
5.1 According to the regulations on the processing of personal data, the User has the following rights:
- Right to be informed about the purposes of the processing (see above) and the identity of the data controller.
- Right of access and verification of data: the User may, at any time, have access to the data that CEPANI has on him/her or check if he/she is included in the database of CEPANI. CEPANI asks the User to make this request by mail in order to be able to identify him with certainty (Please provide CEPANI your first name, surname, complete address and a copy of your identity card). CEPANI will thus be ensured that only the User accesses his data.
- Right of objection: the User may, at any time, object to the use of his data by CEPANI and by its active partners (…) by sending his request to CEPANI by mail.
- Right of cancellation and/or modification: the user may, at any time, notify CEPANI of corrections to the data concerning him and, where appropriate, request the deletion of his personal data.
- Right of limitation of processing: the User may, in particular, obtain a limitation of processing when he has objected to the processing, when he disputes the accuracy of the data, or when he considers that the processing is illegal.
- Right of transferability: The User has the right to receive the personal data that he has communicated to CEPANI and may also ask said company to send this data to another data controller.
5.2 The User may, at any time, request access to his personal data, verify them, transfer them, and, in some cases, as aforementioned, limit their processing and rectify them, by writing to CEPANI accompanied by a copy of his identity card or passport to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or to the postal address: RUE DES SOLS 8 STUIVERSSTRAAT, 1000 BRUSSELS, BELGIUM.
5.3 The User may also request rectification free of charge and, where applicable, request the deletion of all his personal data from CEPANI’s database – except those which CEPANI has a legal obligation to keep on record – and object to the use and, where appropriate, request the limitation thereof by sending a written request, accompanied by a copy of his identity card or passport, to CEPANI:
- by e-mail: email@example.com
- by mail: RUE DES SOLS 8 STUIVERSSTRAAT, 1000 BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
5.4 CEPANI will then take the necessary steps to satisfy this request as soon as possible.
6. DURATION OF STORING THE DATA
6.1 CEPANI will keep the personal data of its Users for the duration necessary to achieve the objectives pursued (see point 4).
6.2 CEPANI may also continue to keep personal data concerning the de-registered User, including all correspondence or request for assistance sent to CEPANI in order to be in a position to reply to all questions or complaints that may be sent to it after the order, and in order to comply with all applicable laws, namely with regard to taxes.
7. COMPLAINT WITH THE SUPERVISORY AUTHORITY
The User is informed that he has the right to lodge a complaint with the Commission for the Protection of Privacy.
Rue de la Presse, 35
8.1 In order to guarantee optimal payment security, CEPANI may use online payment services, which meets high security standards.
8.2 In addition, CEPANI takes the appropriate organizational and technical measures to ensure a level of security adapted to the risk and that, to the extent possible, the servers hosting the personal data processed prevent:
- unauthorized access to or modification of this data;
- improper use or disclosure of such data;
- unlawful destruction or accidental loss of such data.
8.3 In this respect, employees of CEPANI who have access to this data are subject to a strict confidentiality obligation. Nevertheless, CEPANI may in no way be held liable in the event that this data is stolen or hijacked by a third party despite the security measures adopted.
9. COMMUNICATION TO THIRD PARTIES
9.1 CEPANI treats personal data as confidential information. It will not communicate them to third parties under any condition other than those specified in the Policy, such as to achieve the objectives set out and defined in point 4, or under the conditions in which the law requires it to do so.
9.2 CEPANI may communicate its Users’ personal information to third parties to the extent that such information is necessary for the performance of a contract with its Users. In such case, these third parties will not communicate this information to other third parties, except in one of the two following situations:
- the communication of this information by such third parties to their suppliers or subcontractors to the extent necessary for the performance of the contract;
- where such third parties are obliged by the regulations in force to communicate certain information or documents to the competent authorities in the field of combating money laundering, as well as, in general, to any competent public authority.
9.3 The communication of this information to the aforementioned persons shall, in all circumstances, be limited to what is strictly necessary or required by the applicable regulations.
10. TRANSFER TO A NON-EU COUNTRY OR COMPANY
CEPANI transfers data to a non-EU country only when that country provides an adequate level of protection within the meaning of the legislation in force, and, in particular, the Law of 8 December 1992 on protection of privacy and its executive orders, and Regulation 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data and the free movement of such data, applicable from 25 May 2018 (hereinafter the “General Data Protection Regulation“), or within the limits permitted by the legislation in force, for example by ensuring the protection of data by appropriate contractual provisions.
11. PAYMENT SERVICE
11.1 A payment service can be integrated into the Website.
12. DIRECT MARKETING
12.1 The personal data may be used by CEPANI or its partners for direct marketing purposes for similar services than those to which the User has already subscribed.
12.2 The User retains the right to object to such use at any time, upon request and free of charge. The User may simply communicate his request by writing to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
13. NOTE CONCERNING MINORS
Persons under the age of 13 and persons who do not have full legal capacity are not permitted to use the Website. CEPANI asks them not to provide their personal data.
14. UPDATES AND CHANGES TO THE POLICY
By informing Users through the Website, CEPANI may modify and adapt the Policy, in particular to comply with any new legislation and/or regulations applicable (such as the General Data Protection Regulation applicable from 25 May 2018), the recommendations of the Belgian Privacy Commission, the guidelines, recommendations and best practices of the European Data Protection Board and the decisions of the courts and tribunals on this issue.
15. VALIDITY OF THE CONTRACTUAL CLAUSES
15.1 Failure by CEPANI to invoke – at any given time – a provision of this Policy, may not be interpreted as a waiver to subsequently make use of its rights under the said provision.
15.2 The invalidity, expiration or the unenforceable nature of all or part of one of the above or below mentioned provisions shall not give rise to the invalidity of all the Policy. Any fully or partially invalid, lapsed or unenforceable provision shall be deemed not to have been written. CEPANI undertakes to substitute this provision with another which, to the extent possible, fulfils the same objective.
16. APPLICABLE LAW AND COMPETENT COURT
16.1 The validity, interpretation and/or implementation of the Policy are subject to Belgian law, to the extent permitted by the provisions of applicable private international law.
16.2 In the event of a dispute relating to the validity, interpretation or implementation of the Policy, the courts and tribunals of Brussels have exclusive jurisdiction, to the extent permitted by the provisions of applicable private international law.